QUANTITY OPTION CODE NEEDED

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
writethegeek

QUANTITY OPTION CODE NEEDED

Post by writethegeek »

We are looking for the ability to have people be able to have different drop down options.

I have 2 scenarios. One is basic with just offering qty options. The other involves fractions.

For this example say that we have a fish monger and they sell shrimp at 15.00 per pound but the bags come in 2 pound increments.
The fish monger doesn't want to say 30.00 for a 2 pound bag. That is different than everyone else. We wants to say 15.00 per pound and have a drop down with options of 2,4,6,8,....

Other items may be just 1,2,3,4,5,... and some items maybe 1, 1 1/4, 1 1/2, 1 3/4, 2, 2 1/4, ...is there a way to handle quantities that are not whole numbers?
We have discussed having a whole number drop down and have them select a variation of 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4, but it would be nice to have a single drop down with those options.

The main thing is that we need to have options, not just one default for everything.

It would be ideal to have it when you are creating a product that you can select which quantity option would be used for that item.

If anyone knows about existing code it would be great not to re-invent the wheel, otherwise I need a quote on what it would take to make this possible or some of this possible.

Thanks.
Tony Barnes

Re: QUANTITY OPTION CODE NEEDED

Post by Tony Barnes »

I'd suggest you could set that up as variations, but if you already have variations, and want to set different weights to these, then you're going to have to code something.

Once a variation set is done - e.g. fraction set - you can use it on any products.

People will still have a quantity box - so could put 3 lots of 1/2 for 1.5. To get rid of this you would have to hide the quantity and autoset the value to 1.

Hope that makes sense
writethegeek

Re: QUANTITY OPTION CODE NEEDED

Post by writethegeek »

It does make since but not to the person or their customers. 3 increments of .5 for 1.5. Some people will not get it so that is bad in the eyes of the store owner.

But I did look at having them select from a drop down the main whole number and then have the option to select a increment to be tagged on.

But my main thing right now is having the ability to have 2,4,6,8 or 6, 12, 18, 24 or just 1,2,3,4,5,6.

Its the restricting the qty options that would make my customers happy.

But thanks for the suggestion.