Automatic Patcher

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
gaz
Confirmed
Confirmed

Automatic Patcher

Post by gaz »

I've developed an automatic patching system to allow edits to files to be made without having to dive into the code yourself.

Fix bugs, add hacks, mods, customizations.

Even write a patch to apply your template customizations automatically.

The patcher follows the same find, add before, add after, replace methodology that most customizations are released in.
This allows the patcher to successfully modify files that have been previously altered.
A backup is created of course.
This is not limited to Interspire products, the patcher will work on any text based files (asp, php, html, js, txt, etc)

This will be a hosted script with a list of patches, or you may create and upload your own patch.

Note: This patcher will not allow modifications to ISC Licensing code, nor will it function if such code has been changed.
Those applying to beta must have a verified account on the IS forum and pm me there.

I look forward to working with you.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Patcher

Post by Martin »

Good to see this getting off the ground Gaz...

Doubtless everyone is running around working on other stuff right now but they'll notice soon enough :)
gaz
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by gaz »

Thanks Martin,

I'm busy making patch files at the moment so I'll send you the required links etc when I'm done
babyREFLUX

Post by babyREFLUX »

allow edits to files to be made without having to dive into the code yourself.
Gaz...looks great but I haven't got the foggiest what it does or what it means :D

A quick rundown for numpties like me?
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

babyREFLUX wrote:A quick rundown for numpties like me?
Well, once upon a time there was code, and this code runs all the gubbins in the machine...and... ok ok..

Short version... You know all those annoying update/upgrade/fixes that require you to edit your existing code (whether it's customised or not)... Remember (with relish I'm sure! :roll: ) all the hours spent trying to work out if this change will break your code or not.. which version is which, etc... Yeah, I can hear the waves of panic crashing on your consciousness ;)

So, what this thing does is patch ie: modify the files for you... automatically... From what I remember of Gaz's explanation over PM, it backs up copies of the files it modifies or removes, edits them or simply replaces them as required..

To quote the advert... Simples!.. :)
babyREFLUX

Post by babyREFLUX »

Sounds like the medicine man saying that it 'cures all ills'. How does it work - is it an app, how do you execute it? :idea:

JP.
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Sounds interesting.... how does it know what is a patch you've put in though? Assume I go from 4.06-4.09, how does it know what's going on? Does it compare yours to a "naked" version of the same .x ?
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

I knew you lot were going to want the simple version and then start asking technical questions of a non-numpty nature.

I'll let Gaz explain as he wrote the thing after all... :)
gaz
Confirmed
Confirmed

Post by gaz »

Right first of all lets remove Interspire from the equation, so no IS version numbers or anything..... got it? RIght

So theres a problem, your script isn't functioning correctly and the guys that made it aren't exactly quick at making fixes (now remember we removed IS from the equation....)

Enter some helpful php savvy fella (ahem....martin) who finds the problem and posts a fix.

Now normally the post will go something like this:

To fix the error open up /init.php

Find:

Code: Select all

echo $buggySpltRngVarible;
and replace with:

Code: Select all

echo $fixedVariable;
What some may end up doing is opening up /admin/init.php

or editing the wrong variable, even worse use replace all and really mess something up.

By using my patcher, said tech savvy guy supplies a patch.xml file, you load up the patcher webpage browse to the patcher.xml and enter:

Your shop dir (from ftp root) ie. /public_html or /public_html/shop
Your Domain name
Ftp user
Ftp pass

Then click patch

The patcher logs in -> Backs up file to be patched -> Finds code to patch -> Completes the Patch -> Logs Out

Each patch can mod several files

If everything is ok you don't need to do anything else otherwise hit "Restore" and the patcher restores the backup
Simples!
babyREFLUX

Post by babyREFLUX »

Anyone have one?