[MOD] Zopim Module (analytics-ish)

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

[MOD] Zopim Module (analytics-ish)

Post by Martin »

This module borrows much of the knowledge I gained from hacking the Woopra analytics module together and the modifications required to existing files are exactly the same (minus the Facebook stuff, which is unused here).

As with the Woopra code, it's freely available (not for re-sale) BUT I would appreciate anyone using it putting their hands in their pocket and donating £10 ($15) or more to a charity by way of thank-you... Good deeds should be rewarded or at least paid forward... but I'll let you conscience and the knowledge that Karma generally wins out guide you on that one ;)

Open: /templates/__master/Panels/HTMLHead.html

Find & CUT (Delete)

Code: Select all

<!-- Include visitor tracking code (if any) -->
	%%GLOBAL_TrackingCode%%
Find:

<script type="text/javascript" src="%%GLOBAL_ShopPath%%/javascript/jquery.js?%%GLOBAL_JSCacheToken%%"></script>
After, PASTE (Add):

<!-- Include visitor tracking code (if any) -->
	%%GLOBAL_TrackingCode%%

Open: /includes/display/HTMLHead.php

Find:

// Include the tracking code for each analytics module
		$GLOBALS['TrackingCode'] .= GetTrackingCodeForAllPackages();
BEFORE, Add:

// MOD Woopra/Zopim Analytics
		if(CustomerIsSignedIn()) {

// If they're a customer, set their name so it's available in the templates
				$c = GetClass('ISC_CUSTOMER');
				$customerData = $c->GetCustomerDataByToken();
				$GLOBALS['CurrentCustomerFirstName'] = isc_html_escape($customerData['custconfirstname']);
				$GLOBALS['CurrentCustomerLastName'] = isc_html_escape($customerData['custconlastname']);
				$GLOBALS['CurrentCustomerEmail'] = isc_html_escape($customerData['custconemail']);
		}
		// MOD END Woopra/Zopim Analytics
Copy the following files (See attached) to the relevant folders and overwrite as appropriate (Make BACKUPS of original files FIRST).
Add:
  • /modules/analytics/zopim (and contents)
Usage is pretty self explanatory and requires you to have a Zopim account (rather obvious)...

Functionality:
  • Provides a specific Zopim code module (rather than having to hard code the widget into your files or use the GA one)
  • Auto tags Zopim visitors with their name and email when they are logged in

ChangeLog:
    • Initial release
    • Added sanity check for $zopim object before it tries to set the name & email values
    • This stops the JS error when a chat session hasn't been started
Support for this module will be provided upon proof of a donation to a charity so you're on your own. It shouldn't require much in the way of support anyway and development is unlikely to be pushed further as Zopim's "labs" functionality is already making any further modification redundant in the main.
Attachments
Zopim-1.0.1.zip
Minor update to remove undefined $zopim JS error.
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
Zopim-1.0.0.zip
Zopim module ver: 1.0.0
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
Tony Barnes

Re: [MOD] Zopim Module (analytics-ish)

Post by Tony Barnes »

So this lets you track individual customers around your site properly? Nice, can see that being really handy on some sites!
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Tony Barnes wrote:So this lets you track individual customers around your site properly? Nice, can see that being really handy on some sites!
To be honest, the Woopra service and module are much more useful for that.. Zopim is more for handling customer communication rather than analytics...

I've had to make it an analytics module though as the necessary functionality I needed was in that rather than the livesupport class.
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Ah, so its one of those 'hand holding' type set ups for folk on site?
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Tony Barnes wrote:Ah, so its one of those 'hand holding' type set ups for folk on site?
Yup! That's the one...
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Well I had my hand held by Martin earlier ( :? ) whilst playing on his site, have to say, pretty neat add-on, certainly gives a very personal touch.

For anything technical, this could actually be a very good way of increasing conversion rates - though relies on you staffing it heavily, being able to help people understand what they are doing on site instills confidence and a 'I'll buy from you' feeling that you get from shops with good shop keepers.

Obviously if you're abrasive/overbearing this will fail !
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Tony Barnes wrote:Well I had my hand held by Martin earlier ( :? ) whilst playing on his site, have to say, pretty neat add-on, certainly gives a very personal touch.

For anything technical, this could actually be a very good way of increasing conversion rates - though relies on you staffing it heavily, being able to help people understand what they are doing on site instills confidence and a 'I'll buy from you' feeling that you get from shops with good shop keepers.

Obviously if you're abrasive/overbearing this will fail !
Pretty much mirrors my thoughts... I'm starting to play with the ZenDesk integration and if I'm honest I'm not all that impressed with that side of things... They could have done a LOT more with it but as an initial attempt it's not too bad. I'd be tempted to look at writing some middleware that provides better hookup with all the other data collected from Woopra and Interspire (if any) so that a more comprehensive ticket could be created with more of the fields filled in.

I have to say that since I started using it properly I've had numerous chat requests and I'd guess around a 20% increase in my conversion rate and a much reduced waiting time for the customers wanting hand holding. I suspect a fair proportion of those customers would have ordered in the end anyway but one was already looking at a competitor when I replied so time can be of the essence.

As to the abrasive thing... Oh heck yes... I'm sorely tempted to try and nudge people more to the chat system than the phone as that can be a very frustrating experience at times but each to their own...
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Can you have multiple chats on the go at once?

Good bump in conversions!
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Tony Barnes wrote:Can you have multiple chats on the go at once?
Yes, although you do have a limited number of "bots" as they are called.. Worth noting that you don't have to be using their dashboard system either... It will hook into an IM chat client although when I tried MSN was having "issues" so gtalk was the eventual choice.

Good bump in conversions!
That's probably bad math on my part, overall it's not a high jump, but based on the days overall orders I'd hazzard a guess of around a 0.75 - 1% increase in overall conversion, which is what I meant by the 20% increase in the number of orders.
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Huh, that's decent - love it when folk mess around with APIs and it works!

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant - increasing conversion rate by 20% total would be be a ridiculous outcome, in a good way, of course :D