Setting up a sample page

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
Snooper

Setting up a sample page

Post by Snooper »

Anybody with a wholesale site will know where this is coming from..

I would like to change to the site is to add one page of sample stock taken at random from content of site and display this to be public. As a category called 'Sample Product', this ideally, will be under the logon section itself, as to re-enforce the need to become a member and on approval, be able to view all products and prices.

So logon to view prices, I have managed to do....

And here I have sandbox site where I test code before I apply the result to my actual public site which shows this:-

http://www.ihost4u.co.uk/xcart2/login.php

logon : test@test.com
paswd: test

Two of the three images on view have been set up for wholesale display as example of what normally is viewed on my actual, live site.

The method used to set up product details page to show pricing relevant to whole sale can be read here -
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1290

The method of allowing only approved members access to pricing can be read here -
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12&hilit=price

The irony here, is the mod for displaying prices needed for wholesale, was of my own doing. And Tony hinted it might bite back at some point when it comes to numbers and amounts taken. He was blimming not far from wrong. It is giving me problems, even if from a different direction!! Grrrr to clumsy hacks !!

Anyway, the method used to 'mod' the site to show product prices as a wholesale outlet has one issue that until now, was not foreseen or a problem for me. It was wanting this sample stock page that has reveled my problem and why I now post here.

(and you need to see my working example site to understand this)

What I want to try achieve is, where on the product information page I currently have RRP. I am wanting to hide the whole line as well as the line referring to amount saved during the pre-logon stage

OR

For RRP to read £0.00 and the line talking about 'saving' to read £0.00

OR

Have a page where only the product description is seen and there is no click through.

Anybody with better PHP skills that is able to help, would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Last edited by Snooper on Tue May 08, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ISC 5.5.4 Ultimate : Being used here -- http://www.kdklondon.com
Tony Barnes

Re: Setting up a sample page

Post by Tony Barnes »

You might be overcomplicating things a little, here's what I would do:

1. Set up the new category (examples) - set it to only be visible to guests, and not to any logged in groups.
2. Add some products to that category
3. Set up a new category layout (_categoryexamples) - and set that category to use it
4. You can then copy/paste any of the problematic panels/php as new versions with 'examples' tagged on to the end - making sure in any php files to append 'examples' to the end of the naming bit.

If you're wanting to make the product pages display differently also there are a couple of ways - probably easiest is duplicating the products when adding them to the category, and assigning them a new product layout (_productexamples) to use, then again with the duplication of panels/php as required.

Makes sense?

Oh, and told ya so :lol: :D
Snooper

Post by Snooper »

A solution ?! Your a very scary person Tony.. Very scary *lol* !! :geek:

I'm trying to get my head around the 'idea' put forward..

Me thinks this is going to need an idiots list !!!??
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

lol - I thought I'd already done that!! :D :lol:

Have a read, get back to me on any bits that need elaboration ;)
Snooper

Post by Snooper »

This sample product page for non-members (who must otherwise sign on for prices and actual order access) is doing my noggin in..

I created a category page through admin called _samples.html and effectively made this look like any of the pages used on site displaying product.

Within the _sample page are the core elements of:-

%%Panel.CategoryHeading%%
%%Panel.CategoryPagingTop%%
%%Panel.CategoryContent%%
%%Panel.CategoryPagingBottom%%

I simply make a copy of CategoryContent and rename this to CategorySamples, and within the script made the relevant changes:-

<div class="Block CategorySamples Moveable Panel" id="CategorySamples">

And then in the _samples page made direct reference to this new file:-

%%Panel.CategoryHeading%%
%%Panel.CategoryPagingTop%%
%%Panel.CategorySamples%%
%%Panel.CategoryPagingBottom%%

Now, if I allow the _sample page to be viewed through admin (tick to view) with CategoryContent (as in the original setting), everything works. I can see the products and relevant details.
If however, I then change the name from CategoryContent to that of CategorySamples to call on the same file (just different name), I see nothing.. !!??

:|

Initially I thought this was a typical ISC thing.. So I made sure the files are both located inside my template panels folder and the _master panels folder. Made no difference...

In theory, all i have done is copy a file and basically (as I see it), used that copy !!?

So.. What might I have missed here peeps?
Snooper

Post by Snooper »

[Resolved] by way of a work around !!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1631