Amazon Fullfilment Module

Modules, Add-ons and custom code that's more than just a quick hack or Mod.
jonathan2

Amazon Fullfilment Module

Post by jonathan2 »

Would like to know what this one is worth to the market.

It will allow a shop owner to have product shipped by amazon fulfillment. It provides the shipping rate in real time. It is already created.
Thoughts?
What is the best way to get people to beta test it and then convert it over to a paid module?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Jonathan

just found this forum and glad it is here.
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Amazon Fullfilment Module

Post by Martin »

jonathan2 wrote:Would like to know what this one is worth to the market.

It will allow a shop owner to have product shipped by amazon fulfillment. It provides the shipping rate in real time. It is already created.
Thoughts?
What is the best way to get people to beta test it and then convert it over to a paid module?

Thoughts?
Well, I'd be careful who you let use your beta code for starters or it could just end up out there for all and sundry... Oh and I'd give those who do beta it, a cheap rate (even free) when you're done on the final code so they feel valued and less inclined to share. It would of course pay its way in referrals (assuming it works well ;)).

Price wise... hard to say... depends on the target market... I looked at the Amazon fulfillment server blurb yesterday and it struck me as being perfect for those with high turn overs, large-ish products and product ranges and a reasonable amount of cash.

You could pitch it as an enterprise level system or hope to cash in on numbers.. but tbh I suspect you'd be as good to find a mid ground.. perhaps around $200 or so... Hard to say as I'm definitely not in the target market... pehaps Jon (babyReflux) or Tony can provide a better idea.
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

Interesting - looks to be a possibly pricey set-up - though I can't find actual delivery charge, is that included in the fulfilment? If so then it's actually very good, I just can't imagine that it is!

Will this bump sales in general by having better Amazon presence for those who already have it? I'd disagree on the size Martin, cash dense, light products will be the best bet for this, as the storage is by cubic foot, and there are excess weight charges. So high end software would be a good thing to sell - £1k in a DVD case :D

I can say with certainty that it's not suited to us - health food stuff & refrigeration issues - however, for people selling things that are suitable, I can really see it being a lifesaver for when they are understaffed, overworked, reaching the limits of their shipping department, or a combination of all of these.

Realistically you could charge a good amount for this if you find the right customers, selling it on the back of the service that Amazon gives, rather than what your module does (it's kinda boring in comparison, sorry!). I just had to go have a good read to work out the potential benefits of the Amazon service, a good condensed summary with a working example or 2 would market it nicely.

Oh yes, price, I think that the $200 is a bit low (assuming that there isn't an "easy" get around??) - would say $3-400, given potential savings. A breakdown of how quickly you could expect that back would be good. Heck, you could even go the whole hog and built a calculator to let people breakdown what their current fulfilment actually costs them, so it would become a no brainer :o :D
jonathan2

Post by jonathan2 »

Tony,
Many thanks for the feedback.
I am also looking to do the same for Shipwire.com service for those in the UK. (http://shipwire.com/)

Would those in the uk be interested in that?

I am working on creating the web handlers that will completely automate the system.
Amazon shipping rates given.Order placed. Info sent to amazon. Order shipped out. Inventory tracked in real time. Notice sent to have more product sent to Amazon.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Here is the price breakdown.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/seller/fba/fba_pricing.html

you add the three letters together
For a Multi-Channel Fulfillment

Pick & Pack
A Per Unit fee is applied to each unit in your fulfillment order. Oversized items will be charged at the Oversize rate.

Shipping Method
Determine a Shipping Method. For shipments with mixed unit types, use the highest applicable fee.

Shipping Weight
Determine a Shipping Method. Multiply your total shipment weight by the applicable weight range row.

TOTAL - The sum of D, E and F is the fulfillment fee.
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

That site looks intereting too, though easy to rack up costs. It's very up-front about it all though with the customiser, ideal really in that sense.

Right, price break down makes sense now I've read it (for the 6th time!!) - difference between being Amazon sale and not = delivery charge. I think :cry:
jonathan2

Post by jonathan2 »

I agree that it is a bit confusing on the site.
Do you think that it is worth having the module for Shipwire built?
It seems a lot of stores using Interspire are in the UK.
Tony Barnes

Post by Tony Barnes »

As they have other carts listed, is this something you could actually sell to Shipwire instead...?? So it's a global addition for them?
babyREFLUX

Post by babyREFLUX »

We investigated this quite thoroughly a while back but Amazon (it is available in the UK as well - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/seller/fba/fba_pricing.html) but it works out to be very expensive. There are other logistics/fulfilment houses much cheaper.

The killer for us is the storage as we have quite bulky products.
jonathan2

Post by jonathan2 »

Thanks for all the great feedback.

The module is finished...finally!

It will pull up the shipping rate for the customer.
Then after the order is placed send the info to Amazon.com to be fulfilled.
Amazon will ship out the product in one of the 3 shipping options.

I am going to be sending product to amazon ASAP and will report back when the orders go through. The extra benefit is being able to sell your product alongside others in the amazon.com store.
I am going to start with about 4 products and then grow as I can.
I am looking at it as a convience as I can have the product sent directly to amazon.com and then have it automatically shipped out. (even while I sleep)

Hope the numbers $$$ work out.

Would the push to the shipper the information apply to the other shippers as well? (UPS, USPS etc.)

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Jonathan
Martin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Martin »

Still haven't had a chance to look at your code properly but as the others have said I do wonder if the numbers are going to work out..

The costs for the various bits are definitely up front and it's entirely possible that Interspire is going to hit the right market where people are expanding and not wanting to pay too much for storage space but I don't see that window of opportunity lasting long enough except for a very small minority of sellers. Those who will benefit the most will be using high value, higher profit, low physical volume, VERY high turnover goods like DVD's, jewellry, etc... and then I wonder about the security aspect.

To take myself as an example... I'm completely lacking the turnover aspect of things and because the value of the goods is quite low (around £10 - $15US) the shipping charges would murder me..

Has someone done the math and worked out a break even point where profit, volume, etc... work out properly... There must be an equation that would help work it out..

Actually, THAT would be a good idea for your module... If you can provide a web calculator that helps provide a viability test for the actual Amazon service you're on to a winner in terms of getting people to find your module and also sell it.. Just a thought :)